Monday 5 November 2018

Your superpower is words, so choose carefully...

Take care with the words you choose...they matter more than you know. 

Over the past few weeks, I've had a LOT to say about self-belief and standing up for one's passion in life. I've endlessly promoted my beloved Godspell not merely because I'd like to perform to an audience, but because this is something I want people to see for themselves. It's a clever piece of theatre that is the mastermind of Emma White, our fearless Director and we all commit to it with our entire being each and every time we perform it.

I have stated many times before today, but she is actually the very thing that made me decide to audition for Godspell. I knew of Emma, had seen some of her performances, and wanted to work with her. I knew, from the moment I heard she was directing this show, that it would not be 'just another Godspell', and THAT is the thing that got me through the door. That tiny detail is the very turning point that made me rise from my chest infection, shower and get out of my pjs for the first time in days, and put my best foot (voice) forward in the hope she would see a place for me. 

And thank God she did. Because this whole process has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done (bar finding Greg, marrying him, and having our amazing children). It isn't just another show. It's been a complete 'trust fall' the whole time. 

I'll be honest with you. There have been so many times where I have considered if I would be able to move past my personal levels of discomfort to be everything she needed me to be. But with her clarity of purpose and I have followed her; hook, line and sinker. 

And where Emma has taken me has been absolutely amazing. I have moved so many insecurities out of the way, so I could convincingly deliver the roles she has me playing throughout the various parables. I have had her absolute, unwavering, and unquestionable faith in my ability to booster my confidence, and I have had her ear of understanding and consideration when I haven't understood. 

And I am only one of ten she has fostered in this lovely but firm manner has. She has harnessed a mixture of experienced actors, and newbies, of those who've had many roles and some who are debuting their voices for the first time. No matter our level of experience, she has shared her vision, explained her reasoning and directed us to behaved certain ways that reflect integrity in our scenes during Godspell. 

What we have created, without being cheesy, is a legitimate community of love. These friends I have shared this precious show with are now life-long friends. I have developed a real love and respect for each and everyone of them, and on stage our (initial) acting as a pack of friends who are catching up for a gathering is now real. The affection you see and the friendship we emanate is as real as it can be. And it is so special. 

So you can imagine my distress when we had to weather some really strongly worded reviews that were not only unnecessarily scathing, but also nastily singled out individuals and claimed their opinion as truth. These words were full of contempt. They provided no support for new talent rising, no development opportunities, no grace for a different way of presenting Godspell. Just a blatant attack on everything we have worked so tirelessly and professionally to provide for your viewing pleasure. 

Harsh feedback for individuals who have had to put aside their own insecurities to developed self-belief enough to stand under the lights, with microphones on, singing their hearts out, a moment they have trained the past 3 months to complete. Individuals who in my mind, are so well matched to their parts that I couldn't imagine anyone else completing them. 

As I pondered how to respond to such a rough punch, I realised all I could do was use my words the way they should be used. To build people. To encourage further growth. To urge progression and nourish passion. 

So my beloved cast and crew of Godspell 2018, my #communityoflove, hear this. YOU were chosen. As Director, as Musical Director, as Choreographer, as the Onstage Ensemble and as the Choir. YOU. This was not by chance. It was because you have the skills and passion to complete the task. 

The joy you have experienced throughout the rehearsal period and now the shows must not be impacted by negativity, some people won't like what we've done and that's okay. I know I am not the only one who has experienced the happiness, love and belief. You are all well-matched, excellent at your role, as am I. Do not let one person's rant become your lasting memory of this most incredible time in our lives. Instead, remember why you are doing this. Because you were believed in, and in turn, you believed in Emma. 

What she has created here is a tight, fast-paced show that flows jaggedly yet perfectly from one crazy parable to the next. She has seen a reality that exists in 2018, of friends leaving their technology at home and having conversations, sitting around the fire sharing food and drinks, and an integrity in a communion scene, that yes, includes gluten free biscuits as his body and Coke as his blood, simply because that is what is on our table at that moment. A scene that has been misinterpreted as disrespectful is missing the point. It is actually HIGHLY respectful of Jesus at OUR picnic table, in OUR life at 2018. 

Show me a criticism in which I can grow and change and be better any day and I will use it to rise further. Until then, maybe use your power to support upcoming talent, both on stage and off with productive criticism. Something we can use to improve. Something we can take away and consider, and work on next time, in the next show. Advice that spurs development and growth, and encourages people to continue following their passion, despite the personal cost. 


Godspell 2018 clearly isn't for everyone. See it for yourself!

Tickets at www.theq.net.au/godspell - Last 7 performances between Wed 7 - Sun 11 November 2018.

Ciao for now, LG - Life's Great!

Picture courtesy of Michael Moore Photography. 


1 comment: