Friday 20 January 2012

Let me tell you about the time I got stuck in a revolving door....

Oops, she did it again!

I was 3 months pregnant at the time, working a Saturday to do photocopying that should have been done by our admin team, of which had been delegated to other work. We had 5 interstate training days the following week and I was printing up the 80 training manuals that I would then take home and take to the airport with me on Monday morning. Man, I was tired. And after 4 hours of photocopying and binding I was well and truly over it, and so looking forward to heading to Greg's cousin's engagement party, where he was already waiting for me. So I packed up all the manuals onto a little trolley and wheeled them out of the office towards the entrance of the building.

My back was hurting. I was feeling slightly lightheaded as I hadn't eaten in FOREVER and I was cranky because I had told my colleague not to bother coming in to help cause it wouldn't take too long. So I hadn't really been thinking clearly about which entrance I should leave through (there are two, one which is guarded, and one which is not) but as my back was hurting and I just wanted this part of the day over, I went logically to the one closest to my car. The non guarded entrance. Once I got to it, I was dismayed to find that the disabled door next to the revolving door was in fact disabled over the weekends, so my easy access to the outside world wasn't going to be as easy as I thought. 

A flippant thought came and went with such haste I didn't even give it any further credit... I should have, for that tiny little ponder was 'maybe go to the other entrance?'. Pft! Screw that for a joke, I wanted outta here! So with my ever famous attitude of 'She'll Be Right', I pushed that trolley straight into the revolving doors with gusto. As we slowly revolved around to the exit on the other side my trolleys wheels got jammed, I was pushed up hard against it, and promptly the door stop revolving. Honestly, there was no shock or surprise to me that this happened. But now what!? Then to my embarrassment I remember that the guard at the other entrance has a CCTV view of me (and my trolley loaded high with 80 effing folders!), and then to my even greater embarrassment I hear that very guard over the intercom say 'Miss, are you hurt?'. 

Have you ever seen me get embarrassed? I go very red in the face. Then, because I can feel the flush, I go ever redder. To the point where my head no longer resembles a human head and now looks much more like a red hot air balloon that is full to the brim with air and may start rising off the ground at any point. My eyes start watering and my neck feels left out so it starts glowing too. And then normally once I have reached my most hideous climax of red faced embarrassment, someone will point it out by saying 'Oooooh, look how embarrassed she is! Lauren, you have gone all red' and then KA BOOM! My head explodes! 

So this was my state when I got stuck in the revolving door but used every effort to pull myself together, thank the guard as graciously as I could with a beetroot on top of my body and hold my head high as I walk off. I got 3 steps away, my trolley (which now had a shonky wheel) buckled and 80 participant's training manuals were thrown all over the grown and started to blow away in the wind. 
 
Lovely guard trying to hide his smile: "Here miss, let me help you."

Me: Ka BOOM! 

And this is why the thought of trying something new that may possibly end in embarrassment, be it a hobby or a new occupation scares the bajesus out of me. 


Trying to be a Pirate Wench only ended in embarrassment too - but story is for another day




Ciao for now, LG Life's Good!


2 comments:

  1. I love your new blog Loz! :) This story made me particularly happy because I suffer from the same affliction as you, except I usually manage to go red all the way to my hands. I totally believe in your cause though- I think any embarrassment you encounter will be worth the rewards you reap!! Btw: I firmly believe going to a burlesque dance class was the best thing I ever did just for myself! Dancing in a class with other ladies is such a nice way to feel sexy and healthy at the same time without feeling like you're trying to be sexy for someone else :).....Sexy time is what we're going for, right? :P Love Ket xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Ket,
    Thanks for commenting! You're my first! :) Seems so appropriate considering our ongoing and everlasting love affair. Sucks to be so obvious in the blush department, doesn't it? Yet I suppose I have always worn my heart on my sleeve, so I can't really expect anything else. I didn't know this about you - thankfully I haven't been the source of your embarrassment before.
    Burlesque you say? Certainly food for thought, I saw it did wonders for Julie Rafter and her buddy on Packed to the Rafters a little while ago. She is one sexy mumma! I like the thought of just being beautiful and confident for purely yourself. Builds wonderful qualities.
    Thanks for the suggestion, and being my first commenter.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete