Thursday 2 February 2012

Your Inheritence (should you choose to accept it)

The Family Heirloom

As Lucy was finally born in a text book fashion at 5:06pm on Saturday 23rd April last year, I lay there in shock at the fact that it was finished. Our long awaited baby had finally arrived...and I was thankfully and amazingly in one piece! Marvellous! After briefly saying hello on my chest, she was whisked away to the trolley for a quick check over (all was well), then wrapped up and handed to Greg. It was the sweetest moment, him staring at our brand new daughter with amazement and awe, me staring at both of them with love and wonder (and also in a slight state of shock, repeatedly saying "Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my GOD! Oh my God!") and Lucy just lying there quietly in Greg's arms. It was only when the doctor suggested gently "perhaps the mother would like a cuddle?" after a fair few moments that Greg and I snapped out of it and he looked up at me realising he was standing on the other side of the room, and brought her closer. And as we leaned in to examine her, we were delighted to see that she indeed belonged to us....such a likeness to her father you would rarely find!

But when you have a child you pass on so much more than just your devastatingly good looks. I was considering this on Australia Day just gone as Mum, Lucy and I packed a picnic and headed to the Cotter for lunch, an old family favourite. I grew up going for lunch picnics there quite regularly, and loved it so it is now special to me too. I bet it will also be for Lucy. And, like my Mum, I also love camping, driving (just for fun), listening to music, discussing love and life and appreciating a good show. Like my Dad, I enjoy travelling, discussing matters of the heart and generally all things Lucy. And in turn I am sure that Lucy will grow up loving picnics at the Cotter, music, real conversations, driving and other loves that Greg and I will pass to her and encourage in her, as well as her own interests too.

Along with interests, you also inherit fears, limitations, health issues and biases that have been passed to our parents and our grandparents for many decades gone past. Some families find it hard to accept foreigners. Some families find it hard to speak up. Some families find it hard to stay quite. Some families are highly anxious. Some families are judgemental. Some families are hardworking, some are not.

A conversation with a good friend prompted my thoughts on this matter - if I can encourage Lucy's interests, talents and love for certain things, perhaps I can also do the opposite...perhaps I can equally encourage her in a negative fashion to be fearful of the wrong things. To be scared of trying new things. To be ignorant of important issues. To judge others too quickly. I don't want any of these things for her but how can I stop it from happening?

Embrace the person I prefer in myself, and try to limit these poor choices and behaviours myself. Now I know none of us are perfect - but perhaps if I can just focus on who I hope to be, she will find the attributes I want to bestow in her.


Strength. Courage. Love. Compassion. Faith. Confidence. Understanding. Loyalty. Honesty. Trustworthiness. Reliability.

What do you want to pass on to your children? And what would you prefer they didn't acquire?

As long as Lucy knows every single day of her life how loved she is, I think we have done alright. xoxo

Ciao for now, 
LG, Life's Good

1 comment: